inspired by: the dragonfly coffee house
You know those moments where you taste something for the first time and go I NEED TO HAVE THIS IN MY LIFE ALWAYS?
That’s how we felt the first time we tried The Dragonfly Coffee House‘s Coconut Date Cardamom Smoothie.
Now, I have been a strong proponent against dates for as long as I can remember. Even the constant “Want a date?” jokes from one of my best friends in college were never endearing enough to convince me to eat one. But when I bought this smoothie for Brent on the way to pick him up for work, I couldn’t resist taking a sip.
I had never felt so fondly about dates in my life!
The balance of flavors was perfectly unexpected, and I almost didn’t save any for Brent. He immediately agreed it was something we should try and replicate at home. The recipe that follows is our attempt a recreating this smoothie. It’s still not quite there, but it’s still delicious, filling, and refreshing. Although we first began obsessing over this smoothie in late spring/early summer, cardamom is also one of my favorite spices to play around with during the fall. I can’t say I’ve changed my mind entirely on dates – I still don’t like eating them on their own – but this particular combination has made a lasting impression.
- 8-10 dates, pitted and halved
- 1½ cups coconut milk (for variation, you can use almond milk)
- 1 tsp. each cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom (you can add more or less of any spice to taste)
- 2 tbsp. raw honey
- Ice to reach your desired texture
- Soak pitted and halved dates in coconut milk for 15 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour smoothie into a glass and drink until your heart is content.