inspired by:Oh, Sweet Basil
When I say asparagus, you say…BACON! Or at least that’s what Brent says.
When I told him I was brainstorming ideas for a quinoa + asparagus dinner, he sent me a link to Oh, Sweet Basil’s recipe for Easy Pesto Asparagus Quinoa.
But, he requested, wrapped in bacon. Thus, our Asparagus Bacon Quinoa Bowl is born.
- 1 bunch asparagus (or, enough to fill up 1 baking sheet)
- 1 package bacon
- 1½ cups halved cherry tomatoes
- ½ c. uncooked quinoa
- ¾ c. pesto + ¼ c. pesto (separated)
- Olive Oil
- Black pepper
- Lemon juice
- My first step was getting the quinoa started. I used only ½ c. of uncooked quinoa, and water instead of vegetable broth (this is the amount Brent and I usually use when we want enough for dinner + leftovers for 2.
- Next I prepped the asparagus. One thing you should definitely do is not buy turkey bacon. Next time I’ll splurge on 100% bacon! The turkey bacon was too thick and not stretchy enough to wrap around the asparagus and stay put on its own. So I adapted, and slid the bacon-wrapped stalks onto two metal skewers. This took up half the sheet, and I used the other half to spread the rest of the non-wrapped asparagus out for roasting, with olive oil and fresh ground pepper.
- With the oven at 375 (our oven consistently runs hot, so this would be closer to 400 on “normal” ovens), I roasted the asparagus for ten minutes, flipped and turned, and then roasted 10 more minutes.
- This gave me time to slice the cherry tomatoes into lovely little halves, and mix ¾ c. pesto in with the cooked quinoa. When the asparagus was done, I cut the stalks into thirds. Then I layered in a 8x8 glass square pan: quinoa, tomatoes, asparagus.
- After the layering was done, I placed the dish back in the oven for about 10 more minutes, just to reheat everything and give the tomatoes a little warmth. I used the remaining ¼ c. pesto to drizzle on top and sprinkled the whole thing with nutritional yeast.